August 24, 2017;
By Briana McDonald (UtopiaSilver.com) The common belief surrounding tooth decay is that once you have a cavity, it can not be reversed. The solution for modern day Americans experiencing cavities is to drill a hole and fill it with a synthetic material. However, upon further research, I’m learning that you can actually reverse tooth decay naturally by simply changing the diet and addressing nutritional deficiencies which are the primary cause of tooth decay.
According to the British Medical Journal, cavities and tooth decay may be reversed with simple changes in diet. 1. Recent studies have shown that children who followed a grain free diet with nutrient dense foods such as vegetables, fruits, meat, milk, and supplemented with extra vitamin D saw tremendous improvements and nearly all cavities were healed. 2.
So What Really Causes Tooth Decay?
This study showed the world that we have been misinformed about what causes tooth decay in the first place. According to the American Dental Association the reason we have tooth decay is as follows:
“[Tooth decay] occurs when foods containing carbohydrates (sugars and starches) such as milk, pop, raisins, cakes or candy are frequently left on the teeth. Bacteria that live in the mouth thrive on these foods, producing acids as a result. Over a period of time, these acids destroy tooth enamel, resulting in tooth decay.”
There are a few problems with this theory, including:
- Groups of indigenous people who had fermentable carbohydrates stuck on their teeth all the time that did not brush or floss were mostly or completely free of tooth decay.
- Bacteria do not consume processed sugar or flour because of the lack of nutrients in them.
- Foods that bacteria like to eat, such as milk, vegetables, meat, fish and fruit, are not commonly implicated in causes of tooth decay.
So if our modern reasoning for tooth decay is inaccurate, what is?
Dr. Weston Price was one of the most well respected Dentist that ever lived. He traveled the world seeking to find answers as to what caused tooth decay and what he noticed was the link between modern foods and cavities. He noticed that indigenous isolated tribes had perfect teeth with no tooth decay but once exposed to a western diet developed tooth decay, bone loss, and chronic illness.
According to Dr. Price and others, there are 4 main causes for tooth decay in our society today.
- Lack of minerals in the diet (particularly magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus)
- Lack of fat soluble vitamins (vitamin A, D, E and K, and especially vitamin D deficiency)
- Over consumption of phytic-acid rich foods
- Over consumption of processed sugar
Over a period of time if your body is not getting the nutrients it needs from food and/or high levels of phytates (from grains, seeds, nuts and legumes) the ratio of calcium and phosphorus become out of balance which results from minerals being stripped from the bones resulting in bone loss and decay.
The belief about sugar being the primary cause of cavities is partly true, but not because bacteria feeds off of it but because it strips the body of nutrients needed to keep bones healthy.
How to Reverse Tooth Decay Naturally
- Remove Sugar– make Stevia your new best friend and use honey sparingly
- Eliminate Phytic Acid – a diet high in phytic acid creates mineral deficiencies and causes osteoporosis. 80% of beans and grains are bound to phytic acid so it is completely unabsorbable. In addition to blocking phosphorus it also blocks other important minerals the body needs from being absorbed such as magnesium by 60% and zinc by 20%.
- Consume raw dairy and nutrient dense foods- raw dairy contains a host of raw minerals and vitamins needs to form healthy bones and produce overall oral wellness. It’s loaded with calcium, vitamin k, vitamin D3, magnesium, phosphorus and fat soluble vitamins its a necessity for reversing tooth decay and preventing any future cavities as well.
- Use Mineralizing Toothpaste– Try this re-mineralizing toothpaste you can make at home and save a buck or two:
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons baking soda (aluminum-free)
- 1/8 teaspoon stevia
- 20 drops peppermint or clove essential oil
- 20 drops trace minerals or (calcium/magnesium powder)
- Start Oil Pulling – swish a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth for 20 minutes every morning to detoxify and heal everything from gingivitis to headaches and systemic diseases. 3.
Foods to focus on include:
- Coconut oil, grass-fed organic dairy (especially butter), grass-fed meats, seafood and bone broths.
- Organic cooked vegetables (soups with bone broth are ideal).
- Organ and gland meats, like liver.
Limit foods that are high in phytic acid, like grains, beans, nuts and seeds, as well as limiting processed food intake full of processed flours and sugars that upset blood sugar balance. 4.
Supplements to consider are:
- Fermented cod liver oil – very high in fat soluble vitamins A, D and K.
- Magnesium – required to use calcium and phosphorous effectively.
- Gelatin – if you don’t have time to make bone broth, this is a good alternative and is great for gums and digestion.