August 10, 2017; by Briana McDonald, Staff Writer (SilverBulletin e-News Magazine; UtopiaSilver.com) While some of us are operating at our peak performance, others may be stumbling along in a thick layer of brain fog, not meeting our full potential. There are times when we may feel like zombies operating on little sleep and very little nutrition. We forget that our diets play a huge part in how we operate in our day to day lives. We weren’t created to eat empty calories and survive merely on caffeine. Not only can we improve our sense of well being with the foods that we eat, we can also improve our alertness, concentration and improve memory with brain super foods that nourish us and help us reach our full potential.
Foods That Destroy Proper Brain Function
Before we introduce you to the foods that will help heal, let’s talk about the ones you’re probably currently consuming. You’re well acquainted, and you probably see them as friends but really — it’s the enemy.
- Refined Carbohydrates – refined carbohydrates will sabotage your brain function because they rapidly spike and crash blood sugar levels. 1. Your brain uses sugar for food, and it depends on steady blood sugar levels to maintain focus, mood, and concentration.
- Low-Fat Diets – people that go on “low fat” diets in an attempt to lose weight are doing themselves a double negative. When your body retains water it’s usually because you aren’t drinking enough of it. Likewise, your body will store fat when you try to eliminate it from you diet. Not only will you not lose the fat your’re trying to, you’ll also starve your brain of the good fat’s it needs to function properly. This is because your brain is made up of 60% fat! And essential fatty acids are such as Omega-3’s are directly involved in the synthesis and function of brain neurotransmitters. So keep the good fat in, the bad fat out!
- Gluten – gluten is a protein found in grains and studies show that it is linked to brain fog and cognitive function. Gluten has been shown to cause anxiety and depression in the central nervous system as it promotes inflammation in the body. 2.
Ok, so now that you know you should probably do yourself a favor and ditch the refined carbs, low fat diets and anything containing gluten, let’s introduce you to the super foods that will help to improve our brains we love and depend on so much.
Improve Memory With Brain Super Foods
- Walnuts – high in omega 3’s which is essential to optimal brain health, also high in antioxidants which help to fight against free radical damage which have been shown to destroy brain cells.
- Fish – cold water fish contains high levels of omega 3′ fatty acids and DHA which has been shown to improve memory. DHA is so critical to brain function that babies that don’t get enough of it in utero are at a greater risk for developing nerve and vision problems.
- Chlorella – chlorella is a green algae that helps to boost brain power thanks to CGF (Chlorella Growth Factor) CGF contains the nucleic acids RNA and DNA which have many roles but most importantly they help the brain to synthesize proteins that regulate every biological function in our bodies! Including growth and development of our brains as well as how we move, think, behave and feel.
- Avocados -avocados are the richest source of omega 3 fatty acids and is also a rich source of vitamin e. Do you see the trend here yet? Omega’3’s for the win! Avocados also contain a compound called choline which is a precursor the the neurotransmitter acetycholine which helps control nerve and memory function which makes up part of our central nervous system. 3.
- Eggs – everyone is on the fence about eggs. They’re good for you one day then bad the next. Well, I have good news for all you egg lovers. They’re good for your brain! Egg yolks are a rich source of choline, a nutrient that is often grouped with B vitamins. There is a pattern with people who have low levels of choline and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Coconut Oil – The medium chain triglycerides found in coconut oil are responsible for their role in improving cognitive function. Coconut oil is safe to cook at high temperatures and can be used as replacement for butter.
- Berries – any type of berry is great for overall brain function due to their high levels of antioxidants which help to combat free radical damage and high levels of vitamin c which helps to reduce inflammation.
- Grass Fed Beef– grass fed beef is a better alternative (not cause the hippies say it is) but because a grass fed diet provides animals with EPA and DHA, two essential fatty acids where eating a diet composed of corn and grain does not. This meat is high in nutrients and low in toxins, a win for the brain.