June 22, 2017; by Briana McDonald (Silver Bulletin e-News Magazine Staff Writer-UtopiaSilver.com) Colitis, Chrons, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome are very similar gastrointestinal diseases that are commonly misdiagnosed as the symptoms between the three are so common. All of these diseases are considered incurable by the mainstream medical community however, this is simply not true. Below is a nutritional healing Protocol for Colitis, Chron’s and IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).
The Nature of the Diseases
Before we can understand how to treat it, we need to take a look at what these three diseases have in common. They are all inflammatory bowel diseases in which parts of the digestive system swell and develop sores or ulcers. These ulcers usually develop in the last part of the small intestine and the first part of the large intestine, but can develop anywhere in the gastrointestinal tract including the mouth, stomach and anus.
It is said that the cause for these diseases are unknown, however if you look at how to treat it, you can see how it formed in the first place. The answer lies in proper nutrition.
- abnormal immune response
- smoking plays a factor
- abdominal pain
- loose bowel movements/diarrhea
- weight loss
- mouth ulcers
- rectal bleeding
- bowel blockages
- anal tears
- loss of body fluids and nutrients
Most people with these conditions have very imbalanced bacterial flora. The repeated use of mainstream antibiotics (often since childhood) and invasive medical tests alone may have destroyed much of the good bacteria in the small and large intestine. When this imbalance of bad vs. good bacteria in the gut occurs, then disease causing organisms like yeast (candida), viruses, parasites and bad bacteria flourish.
The over abundance of these disease creating organisms creates inflammation and damages the mucosal lining of the intestines. This leads to a condition called “leaky gut” in which undigested food particles and bacteria seep into the bloodstream triggering allergic reactions and infection in other places in the body like the skin, joints, and eyes.
To treat one disease is the same as treating the other. Consider this protocol sound for each disease.
Provide bowel rest using a liquid diet (fresh fruit and vegetable juices, green drinks, Organic Aloe Vera Juice, and baby food. Earths Best baby food is organic and readily available in many supermarkets)
Kill off bad bacteria and fungus in the gut with the use of Colloidal Silver.
Re-populate the gastrointestinal tract with good bacteria using probiotics. Use a potent probiotic in a bio-available form. You need a minimum of 7 to 10 billion colony forming units of each species per day.
Heal intestinal inflammation and ulcers with high doses of vitamin c and probiotic use. A liposomal form is much better to use since its is more absorbent in the body and the digestive system can handle larger quantities with a fat soluble carrier such as sunflower lecithin without loose bowels.
Resolve any nutritional deficiencies. Most people with these conditions are anemic due to the large amount of body fluids lost over an extended period of time. Consider a Hair and Mineral Analysis to see what your body is most needing.
Detoxify your living space. Eliminating as many possible toxins in your life is priority numero uno. (this could mean toxic people in your life as well)
Heal any contributing emotional factors. Jini Patel Thompson, a woman who naturally healed herself of Chrons’ states this:
“I have long been convinced that if you don’t heal the underlying psychological and emotional causes of Crohn’s disease, then you will never have long-term good health. After all, over 60% of your body’s neurotransmitters are not in your brain, but in your gut!
There is now an entire field dedicated to emerging knowledge about the interrelation of the mind, emotions and the digestive system, called neurogastroenterology. (See Dr. Michael Gershon’s book, The Second Brain, to learn more about this). This is not airy-fairy stuff – this is hard science. Consider blushing – a purely emotional event that instantly produces a marked physical reaction.”
Balance your hormones.
More than likely if you’ve had any type of steroid or immune suppressant medicine, your thyroid isn’t functioning properly and neither are your adrenal glands. Follow a natural hormone supplement program tailored for your specific needs with a reputable Naturopathic Doctor.
Essential Minerals + Nutrients for Healing
The below dosages are recommended for adults. If treating a child between ages of 6-12 use 1/2 of the recommended dosage. For children under the age of 6, use 1/4 of the recommended dose. With this condition, the colon is highly inflamed, so it is best to only add one or two new supplements at a time to not further irritate the colon.
- Colloidal Silver– thisgerm killing and anti-microbial agent is the mineral silver. According to research by one of the world’s largest medical supply companies, Beiersdorf, Inc., “Silver inhibits the growth of bacteria by deactivating the bacteria’s oxygen metabolism enzymes. In turn, this destroys the bacteria’s cell membranes, stopping the replication of the bacteria’s DNA.” Silver is effective as is and doesn’t need special frequencies or names designed to deceive. Colloidal Silver Kills All One-celled Organisms!! Silver also kills all other one-celled organisms/germs on contact. This includes viruses, molds, and fungus. Germs cannot live in the presence of silver, but there is no damage to multi-celled organisms. Therapeutic dosage: 1/4-1/2 ounce 4-8 times daily. Best when taken on an empty stomach but does not have to be. New research shows that Silver not only destroys bad bacteria in the gut, but does NOT destroy healthy bacteria which is critical for healing! Read this article for more information>
- Enzymes–enzymes are vital for proper digestion of proteins and helps to control inflammation. Use a blend high in pancreatin which are incredibly anti-inflammatory and low in hydrochloric acid (HCL). Take them as directed on the label in between meals.
- Iron-iron is usually depleted in people with chronic inflammatory bowel disease. Please use caution when taking supplemental iron and only take it unless anemia is diagnosed.
- Vitamin B Complex + extra B6, B12, and Folic Acid-take the vitamin b complex as directed on label for the essential breakdown of fats, protein and carbohydrates and for proper digestion. Use a hypoallergenic form. For the B6 take 50 mg twice dailyand 1,000 mcg twice daily of the vitamin B12. Folic acid should be taken twice daily as well at 400 mcg for each dose. Most people with this disorder are depleted in folic acid. Folic acid has been known to protect against colon cancer.
- Vitamin D3– 3,000 to 4,000 IU of Vitamin D3 per day using the right dosage for your skin color and environment.
- Liposomal Vitamin C–needed for immune function and healing of mucous membranes, also it is a great anti-inflammatory. Take 3,000-5,000 mg daily in divided doses.
- Probiotics–to replenish the good bacteria in the gut take as directed on the label
- L-Glutamine-is a major metabolic fuel for the intestinal cells, helps to maintain the villi, the absorption surfaces of the intestines. take 500 mg twice daily on an empty stomach. take with water or juice and DO NOT take with milk. Take with 50 mg of vitamin B6 and 100 mg of Vitamin C for better absorption.
- Pycnogenol or Grape Seed Extract
- CoEnzyme Q10
Diet for Chrons, Colitis, IBS
Diet is the most significant factor in achieving and maintaining remission of this disabling condition. Shari Lieberman, nutritionist and author, recommends the following guidelines for people with Colitis.
- the most important thing to do is keep a daily record of what you eat and the symptoms you experience. Doing this will help you see which foods have aggravated or improved your condition. Some are only sensitive to certain foods such as yeast products, wheat products, or dairy products.
- eat a high protein diet mainly from vegetable sources. You can have some baked or broiled fish and chicken and turkey (without the skin)
- eat lots of vegetables!! if you can not tolerate them raw, steam them.
- eat a high fiber diet
- keep excess fats and oils out of your diet and stay away from high-fat milk and cheeses. Fats and oils exacerbate the diarrhea that comes with colitis.
- include garlic in the diet for its healing and antibiotic properties.
- eat cooked foods that are broiled or baked, not friend or sauteed and avoid sauces made with butter.
- avoid carbonated soft drinks, spicy foods, and anything containing caffeine. These will irritate the colon. Also avoid red meat, sugar, and processed foods.
- drink plenty of water!! at least 10, 8 ounce glasses a day. Carrot and cabbage juices and “green drinks” are also good or you can add chlorophyll liquid to juices.
- Do not eat fruit on an empty stomach, eat it between meals instead. avoid acidic fruits such as oranges and grapefruit. Fruit juices should be diluted with water and taken during or after meals.
- Aloe Vera aids in healing the colon thereby easing pain. Drink 1/2 cup of aloe vera juice in the morning and again at bedtime
- Chamomile, dandelion, feverfew, papaya, redclover, and yarrow extract or tea are beneficial for colitis
- Alfalfa, taken in capsule or liquid form, supplies vitamin K and chlorophyll needed for healing. Take it as directed on the label three times daily.
- for acute pain, try drinking a large glass of water which aids in flushing out particles caught in the crevices of the colon, relieving pain.
- during a flare up, only consume soft foods until the pain has subsided.
- eat plenty of dark green leafy vegetables which are rich sources of vitamin K. Vitamin K deficiency has been linked to ulcerative colitis.
- Try eating junior baby foods for two weeks. baby foods are easy to digest. Earths Best baby foods are organic and available in many health food stores and supermarkets. While on the baby food diet, take extra fiber such as glucomannan
- Use cleansing enemas made with 2 quarts of lukewarm water which helps to rid the colon of undigested foods and relieve pain. Use wheatgrass juice as a retention enema.
- do stretching exercises and tke proteolytic enzymes to improve digestion.
- When magnesium is given intravenously with vitamin B6, it relaxes the muscles in the walls of the bowels and can control an attack of spastic colon.
- the earliest signs of ulcerative colitis sometimes mimic symptoms of arthritis- an achy feeling and joint pain. If you start to notice arthritic-like symptoms it may be beneficial to change your diet and see if improvements result.
- a food sensitivity test is advised for anyone who suffers from colitis. Many people do well once they make changes in their diet and lifestyle.
- some patients with IBS responded to an elimination diet and probiotics. it is possible that this sort of therapy would be beneficial in ulcerative colitis as well.
- Omega-3 fats from fish appear to protect against colon cancer by decreasing the formation of inflammatory eicosanoids. Eating just two servings of fish a week was shown to reduce the risk by 25%. It is also helpful in controlling inflammation associated with these diseases.
- Blach, Phylllis A. Prescription for Nutritional Healing 5th Edition. New York, New York. The Penguin Group, 2010.