Oct. 19, 2018; by Briana McDonald (Silver Bulletin e-News) Iodine is an essential trace element vital for proper growth and development. Most of the iodine in the human body stays stored in the thyroid gland. The role of iodine is an important one as its responsible for setting the base metabolic rate for the body and is responsible for synthesizing hormones. Another amazing thing about iodine is it displaces fluoride from cell receptors and helps the body to effectively eliminate it. In today’s world, fluoride is nearly impossible to avoid so it’s critical to know how to flush out toxic fluoride with Iodine.
Minimize Fluoride Exposure
Minimizing your exposure to fluoride is important, however in our world this very toxic substance is hard to avoid which is why detoxing your body regularly is necessary. Fluoride is in our water supply, prescription drugs, all processed meats, packaged and processed foods, infant formula, drinks, and most of the time with the very pots and pans we cook with if they are coated with Teflon. Exposure to fluoride can wreck your body and here’s why.
Shocking Dangers of Fluoride Exposure
1. Weakens Skeletal Health – skeletal fluorosis is a result from fluoride consumption. This happens when the liver is not able to process the fluoride so it passes into the bloodstream where it combines with calcium that has been leeched from the skeletal system. You’re left with weak bones and there is not a known amount of exposure that will trigger this condition. The best way is to limit your exposure and detox from it as much as possible. (1)
2. Harmful to Health of Kidneys – In areas where the drinking water contains high levels of fluoride there is a higher rate of chronic kidney disease reported. (2) And according to researchers, it only takes a level of 2 mg/L to cause renal damage in children. While fluoride levels in the water supply are much lower than this we have to remember we are being exposed in multiple ways and we need to think about how this all adds up over time.
3. Accelerates female puberty – have you noticed how 13 and 14 year old girls look more like 18 and 19? The pineal gland plays a role in the onset of puberty and research has shown that girls living in areas prone to more fluoride exposure experience puberty earlier than girls exposed to less.
4. May Cause Fertility Issues- higher levels of fluoride correspond to lower fertility rates especially with drinking water levels of 3 ppm. (3) In animal models it was proven that fluoride reduces reproductive hormones in both females and males.
5. Toxic to the Thyroid- iodine and fluoride belong to a specific set of compounds called halogens. While iodine is beneficial to the thyroid. fluoride is not. Due to the similarities however, the thyroid can absorb fluoride instead of iodine which is definitely not what you want to happen. Fluoride is TOXIC to thyroid cells and inhibits function and causes cell death. For a long time, fluoride was used to reduce thyroid function in individuals suffering from an OVERactive thyroid. Now the range used in water fluoridation matches the levels typically used to reduce thyroid function. ( YOU HEARD ME)
Flush Out Fluoride With Iodine
Fluoride, bromine, and chlorine are all in the same compound family and all bind to iodine receptors in the body and displace iodine. Chelation and other methods for heavy metal detox may not be the best way to eliminate fluoride from the body since it is not a heavy metal. However, loading the body with iodine displaces fluoride from cell receptors and flushes the fluoride out of the body in urine. Our bodies can not make iodine, we have to get it from either food or supplements. Unfortunately almost 75 percent of Americans are deficient in this trace element. (4)
In combination with iodine therapy you can look towards selenium and zinc supplementation which help protect the kidneys against exposure to fluoride.
[Possibly the most damaging effect of Flouride is brain damage, especially reducing the IQ of children. See: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/fluoride-childrens-health-grandjean-choi/]