Jan. 15, 2018; by Briana McDonald- Staff Writer (UtopiaSilver.com) If you have diabetes and are looking to lower your blood sugar levels and increase your fiber and omega-3 intake, search no further than flaxseed oil for diabetes prevention and maintenance. Flaxseed oil can help repair the cellular damage caused by a lifetime of sugar consumption. Flax hull lignans help heal the body lessening or preventing complications from diabetes. Research has shown that flaxseed oil as part of a daily diet can help lower and stabilize blood sugar levels and aid in weight management.
Flaxseed Oil Benefits
Flaxseed Oil is loaded with omega-3 fatty acids which have been associated with healthier brains, hearts, better moods, decreased inflammation and healthier skin and hair. (1) It contains 50 to 60 percent omega-3 fatty acids in the form of alpha-linolenic acid. In fact it has more ALA than fish oil. Being deficient in these fatty acids is associated with lower intelligence, depression, heart disease, arthritis, cancer and many other health problems so it’s important to make sure you are taking in an adequate amount from food and supplementation.
Flaxseed Oil for Diabetes Prevention and Maintenance
We’ve known for 20 years that having ground flax in your stomach can blunt the blood sugar spike from a meal, but it’s never been tested in diabetics until recently. World Health Organization researchers published an open label study on the effect of flax seed powder supplementation in the management of diabetes. The subjects in the group took a tablespoon of ground flax seeds every day for a month and compared to the control group experiences a vast drop in fasting blood sugars, triglycerides, and cholesterol as well as a drop in A1c level. (2)
How does it Work?
Flaxseeds may improve insulin sensitivity in glucose intolerant people. After just 12 weeks of flax, researchers found a small but significant drop in insulin resistance, possibly due to the drop in oxidant stress due to the antioxidant qualities of flaxseeds.
Other Health Benefits
- Aids in Weight Loss: flaxseed oil lubricates the colon and aids as a natural laxative. It keeps things moving in the digestive system and aids in eliminating wastes more quickly and efficiently which will help to detoxify the body and shed extra unwanted pounds.
- Relieves Constipation and Diarrhea: when your body has a hard time eliminating waste from the bowels, you can feel pretty crappy. (literally) Toxic build up in the colon can produce a host of unwanted side affects like bloating, gas, back pain and fatigue so it’s important that we keep things flowing! The oldest reason for using flaxseed oil has been to aid in constipation relief by acting as a lubricant to the colon. It has also been shown to stop diarrhea according to a 2015 study in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology so we can see it helps the digestive system in a multitude of ways.
- Helps fight Cancer: In the fight against cancer, flaxseed oil is a weapon you want to have in your arsenal. Studies have shown that falxseed oil may help prevent the growth of breast tumors. In a 2015 study, researchers found that ALA contained in flaxseed oil reduced growth of breast cancer cell lines by modifying signaling pathways. (3)
- Removes Cellulite: over time collagen production in the body decreases but consumption of flaxseed oil helps to increase production. Having less collagen in the body makes cellulite more visible because the skin becomes thinner and less able to conceal the irregularities created by the superficial fat and connective tissue just below the surface.
Vitamin and Minerals
Flaxseeds are rich in:
- vitamin B1: This B-vitamin is also known as thiamine. Vitamin B1 is essential for normal metabolism and nerve function.
- copper: An essential mineral that is important for growth, development and various functions in the body
- molybdenum: Flaxseeds are rich in molybdenum. This essential trace mineral is found in seeds, grains and legumes
- magnesium: An important mineral that has many important functions in the body. It is found in high amounts in grains, seeds, nuts and green leafy vegetables
- phosphorus: This mineral contributes to bone health and tissue maintenance, and is usually found in protein rich foods. (4)
So not only can you use flaxseed oil for diabetes prevention and maintenance, but you can also use it to aid in your digestive health, improve the appearance of your skin, fight against unnatural cell growth (cancer) and even shed some unwanted weight.